This article is all about how to move Exchange 2010 mailbox database to exchange 2013. As we know, Microsoft Exchange Server is a mail server. It runs entirely on Windows Server operating systems. It was initially known as Microsoft’s internal mail server. It is licensed both in the forms of on-premises software and software as a service. It has limited features rather than Exchange 2013. Users might face an issue while sending or receiving the internal as well as external emails. To resolve this issue multiple users export mailbox from exchange 2010 to 2013. It contains multiple utilities such as executive audit logs, metadata searches, and unified message including menus, dial plans, and custom greetings. We will be discussing in detail about how to move exchange 2010 mailbox database to exchange 2013 and the solution to recover Exchange Mailbox.
Need to Migrate Mailbox from Exchange 2010 to 2013
When users want to upgrade Exchange 2010 to 2013, then users have to move mailbox database from exchange 2010 to exchange 2013 Mailbox server. The following reasons are mentioned below for which organization want to migrate into latest version:
- Interactive User Interface
Exchange 2013 have multiple advanced features rather than Exchange 2010. The graphical-based EMC (Exchange Management Console) and Web-based ECP (Exchange Control Panel) features have been replaced by individual Web-based User Interface.
- Better Performance After Migration
The performance becomes best after moving exchange 2010 mailbox database to exchange 2013. Exchange 2013 offers two roles named as Client Access server and Mailbox Server role. The Mailbox server provides all server components including unified messaging, and other Client Access server handles all the authentication, redirection, and proxy services as well.
- Supports Offline Accessed
An amazing feature that supports and easy to access data offline. It is a beneficial feature which helps to deliver the messages when users are unable to connect the network. Just because of new UI layout users allow accessing the data easily use for desktop, tablet, and smartphone.
- Preserve Lost Data-Items
MS Exchange 2013 helps to prevent the data from any kind of loss. Users can easily access their emails including the necessary details or information without any inconvenience. Also, protect the data file from any kind of loss.
Preparation before export-mailbox exchange 2013
Users have to estimate the actual time may vary which depends on the size of the mailbox.
Steps to transfer or move exchange 2010 mailbox to exchange 2013
How to install Exchange server 2013
There are 3 main stages to install new Exchange server 2013 those are:
– First, Prepare Active directory
– Install new Exchange Server 2013 pre-requisites on server side
– Run Exchange server 2013 set-up on Desktop
A user can launch the tool on the server to run Exchange 2013 Active Directory preparation.
– For Window Server 2008 R2
– For Window Server 2012
– For Window Server 2013
#1 Pre-requisites on server side
Exchange Server 2013 should be installed on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012.
Install Exchange Server 2013 on Wizard
- After pre-requisites installation completes, then, restart the server if required. In case, if users proceed it without restarting then setup might be unable to proceed when it detects the pending restart.
From the location where users have stored Exchange 2013 files, run Setup.exe
- For checking the updates to setup the Exchange 2013 files. After setup completion, click Next to continue.
- Now, accept the licensing agreement of Exchange 2013 setup introduction click on Next to proceed.
- After checking, all the installed per-requisites setup wizard will move on to the next step automatically.
- Now, we choose to install the server roles. Verify that users have enough disk space for the installation, or select a path that has enough disk space, and click on Next tab.
- Choose the location for installing Exchange 2013. If Exchange organization does not exist in Active Directory and haven’t prepared Active Directory for Exchange, users will allow being prompted to enter the name of Exchange organization.
- After installing Mailbox server, one option comes to disable malware protection. If you disable it now user can enable it again later.
- To setup anti-malware protection for the Mailbox server.
- Now, click on Install to begin.
- Wait until the installation gets complete. Click on Finish option.
Exchange 2013 SSL Installation Instruction
The following steps are mentioned below:
- Download and open the ZIP file that contains a certificate. Certificate file named as user_domain_name.cer.
- Copy the desired file to users Exchange server network share file folder
- Browse the location, then, access the exchange admin center
- Login with the username and password in the desired field.
- Click on link>>menu>>certificates
- Enter the share path where users certificate files are located. After that, installation completed on the server.
- Now, enable the certificate for use and then, go back certificate section of EAC.
- Then, press on “edit” button.
- Now, to enable the selected services and then, press on save.
Configure Virtual Directories on Exchange 2013
The MS Exchange 2013 Client Access server virtual directories should be checked to ensure that they are configured correctly. The Exchange Server organization has OWA and ECP virtual directories have configured for Basic as well as Integrated authentication and uses Forefront TMG publishing them to the network with Forms-dependent Authentication. Thus, the OWA/ECP virtual directories for Exchange 2013 also need to be configured with the same way so that the publish TMG can continue to work.
Alternative Third Party Solution to Move Exchange 2010 Mailbox Database to Exchange 2013
After considering the multiple steps those are included to export mailbox from exchange 2010 to 2013, it is a very complicated task and it takes huge time during the process. Thus, users have to gain more technical knowledge.
There is a third party solution named as Exchange Server Recovery tool that is a reliable importing tool that allows the user to move Exchange 2010 mailbox database to exchange 2013. Moreover, it is able to recover public and private mailbox and, also deleting the emails from exchange mailbox. Users allow repairing more than one exchange mailbox by using this tool without any kind of data loss.
After discussing an issue related to Exchange 2010, the article focusses on the requirement to migrate mailbox database from exchange 2010 to exchange 2013. It also explains the pre-requisites and steps to move Exchange 2010 mailbox database to exchange 2013. Also, gives the third party solution i.e. Exchange Server Recovery Tool which is better and reliable than other solutions. The last section of the content explains the efficiency of Exchange Server Recovery Software.