User could not be reached and this message was not delivered – Microsoft Office Communicator

One of my team members had a strange problem since last year. He could sign in to the Microsoft Office Communicator but could not receive messages from anybody else. On the other hand he could send messages to his contacts absolutely fine. Our TAM and his OCS team tried doing a lot of research on his production account with no avail and the problem was never resolved.

I was playing around his user account today and decided to fix it for him. While going through the LDP dump of his user account and my own user account I found something really interesting. He had an additional IP phone value added on his user account using ADUC. So, the LDP dump showed something like below:

ipPhone: 3165;

otherIpPhone: +123476;

Our OCS settings does not have any configuration in enterprise voice settings that matches the otherIpPhone value. They were testing something on his account and didn’t remove this value from this user account. So, to remove this value we simply used ADUC (Active Directory Users and Computers).

1. Open user properties in ADUC and go to Telephones tab. Locate IP Phone and click Other button.

image

2. Remove the values that are incompatible with your OCS Voice configurations.

image 

3. Ask the user to log off and log back in. Bingo! That should let him receive IMs from other users now.

3 thoughts on “User could not be reached and this message was not delivered – Microsoft Office Communicator”

Comments are closed.